Yet so many companies still are not worried about whether their employees are engaged
I was reading an article in Business on Main recently entitled, Why Employees are Less Engaged Than Ever. It discussed some reasons why employees are disengaged and pointed out something very key for those employers who seem unconcerned about whether or not their employees are engaged. That is the fact that disengaged employees can become toxic in an organization- dragging everyone down with them.
Frankly, I am seeing an increased focus from my clients on ensuring that employees are engaged and doing something about it – which means focusing on training their managers and others on how to better engage employees and look for signs of disengagement. Engagement of employees is everyone’s responsibility in the organization and that includes the individual employees. Employees can’t be passive and wait for something to happen. Rather take responsibility for yourself. If you are feeling disengaged, talk to someone at the office about it – whether your manager, a colleague or someone in human resources.
The article offers a variety of suggestions on how to create a more engaging environment. I’d add to the list as follows:
- Support self-branding efforts which will benefit the individual as well as the business
- Ask them to participate in strategic planning sessions and brainstorming sessions to offer ideas for the business.
- Enable them to participate in areas of the business in which they have no experience but an interest.
Consider surveying your employees – either formally using a survey tool or informally through conversations – about how well engaged they are. Ask questions such as:
- Do you feel cared about as a person – not just how you do in your job but how things are going for you personally?
- Do you feel as if you are encouraged to develop new skills and interests?
- Do you feel as if your opinions and ideas are valued?
Other articles on employee engagement you may find of interest:
Your thoughts? How are you engaging your employees? If you aren’t – what are you waiting for!? Get started today before you see good talent move out the door.
Disclaimer: This post is a part of an online influencer network for Business on Main. I receive incentives to share my views on a monthly basis.